NEW YORK – Drew Barrymore, who has faced criticism for taping new episodes of her daytime talk show despite ongoing writer and actor strikes, now says she will wait until labor issues are resolved.
“I’ve listened to everyone and I’m making the decision to pause the premiere of the show until the strike is over,” Barrymore said on Instagram on Sunday. “I have no words to express my deepest apologies to everyone I hurt, and of course to our incredible team who worked on the show and made it what it is today.”
Barrymore’s decision to return to broadcast without her three union writers and pickets outside her studio was met with backlash on social media. His show resumed in New York last week and was watched with interest by striking writers.
Other daytime shows have resumed. “The View” returns for its 27th season on ABC, while “Tamron Hall” and “Live With Kelly and Ryan” (neither of which are subject to writers guild rules) are also producing new episodes. “The Jennifer Hudson Show” and “The Talk” also reboot on Monday.
Hosts and guests are technically not breaking the strike unless they are discussing or promoting work under television, theater or broadcast contracts. This is because talk shows fall under a separate agreement (the so-called Network Code), which attracts attention from actors and writers. Network Code also covers reality TV, sports programming, morning news programs, soap operas and game shows.
Barrymore’s stance led the National Book Awards to withdraw her invitation to host in November. The organization rescinded the invitation “in light of the announcement that ‘The Drew Barrymore Show’ will continue production.”
The ongoing strike pits the Writers Guild of America and Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists against the Motion Picture and Television Producers Guild, which represents Disney, Netflix, Amazon and others.